Arrest made in crash that killed ORU soccer player


By John Dobberstein, Editor

The Tulsa Police Department announced an arrest Tuesday stemming from the horrific crash that killed a soccer player from Oral Roberts University.

Police said blood draws obtained through a warrant showed Nicholas Robinson had a blood alcohol level of 0.45 — five times the legal limit — and he was driving 73 mph in a 45 mph zone when the crash occurred.

Robinson also tested positive for various other drugs and medications.

Robinson has been charged with 2nd degree felony murder, driving under the influence of alcohol (second offense), speeding, and failure to stop at a red light.

According to police, Robinson was driving a black Dodge Durango around 10:20 p.m. on Sept. 28 when he crashed into a Nissan Altima at the intersection of 71st Street and Yale Avenue.

The Altima, driven by ORU student Eugene Quaynor, was stopped at the traffic light at the time of the collision. The collision pushed the Altima through the intersection, causing it to burst into flames.

Multiple witnesses nearby tried to help Quaynor escape, but the fire became too much. Quaynor died inside the car before first responders arrived.

Multiple witnesses were on the scene and saw Robinson attempting to leave. However, paramedics held Robinson on the scene until officers arrived.

Witnesses said Robinson appeared to be under the influence of drugs and alcohol. He was unsteady on his feet, unable to walk, and appeared to be severely intoxicated, police said. Robinson spent several weeks in the hospital receiving treatment for his injuries.

Video from the intersection shows Robinson slamming into the back of Quaynor's vehicle. A search warrant of the airbag control module from Robinson's Durango revealed he was driving 73 mph when he crashed into Quaynor, and he never hit the brakes. The posted speed limit in the area is 45 mph.

Robinson previously received a deferred judgement of aggravated DUI in Tulsa County in 2019.

The victim, Eugene Quaynor was a student and soccer player from Ghana at Oral Roberts University. With the help of the school, we were able to notify his family about the accident.

“We understand that there was great interest in this case and the investigative process that led to the suspect's arrest,” Tulsa police said in a statement. “As there were multiple items of evidence to collect, many of which required separate warrants, these processes can take some time. We appreciate the victim's family and friends for their patience through this lengthy investigation.”

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified