Man shot by police at Tulsa bar, investigation under way


By John Dobberstein, Editor

A Tulsa police officer will be placed on administrative leave Saturday after shooting a suspect during a domestic call early Saturday.

Dispatchers received a call around 2:18 a.m. at Spirit 76 Bar, 3161 S. 129th E. Ave., stating a domestic disturbance and hit-and-run was in progress.

According to a news release from the Tulsa Police Department, the first officer arrived at 2:21 a.m. and the caller, who is the girlfriend of the suspect, pointed the suspect out to the officer as he was walking away from the bar toward the officer.

When the officer exited a patrol vehicle, the suspect was immediately hostile and said “Don’t touch me” to the officer and started to walk past the officer, the department said. After a brief discussion between the officer and the suspect, the suspect placed his hands in his jacket pockets.

When the officer told the suspect to take his hands out of his pockets, the suspect initially refused. Upon further orders from the officer, the suspect became aggressive and quickly pulled his hands from his pockets and rapidly charged the officer, the department said.

The suspect came within arm's reach of the officer, forcing the officer to push the suspect away to gain some distance. The suspect then said, “Don’t [expletive] touch me bro” and took a stance as though he was drawing a weapon, according to the news release.

The suspect kept his holster side bladed away from the officer, obscuring his pistol from the view of the officer.

The officer pulled his duty pistol and backed away to increase distance between he and the suspect. The suspect took his hands off his hip and rushed towards the officer saying, “shoot me bro....”.

The officer and the suspect were in a vacant parking lot with few cars and no other citizens, allowing the officer space to back away from the suspect in an attempt to deescalate the situation and gain distance.

According to police, the suspect then turned and started walking towards his girlfriend as the officer gave multiple commands for the suspect to stop.

The suspect ignored all commands from the officer, then brushed his jacket back with his hand gaining access to the pistol on his right hip, police said. The suspect drew the pistol from his hip, turned around and pointed his pistol at the officer.

The department said the officer discharged approximately 10 rounds, striking the suspect. The suspect collapsed to the ground and dropped his weapon within arm’s reach.

The officer moved up and kicked the gun away from the suspect and called for EMSA to be dispatched to the location while seeking a position of cover.

The suspect was conscious and continued to not follow instructions from the officer, the department said. As additional police arrived at the location they moved to the suspect to secure him and render first aid.

The suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he was in critical condition this afternoon.

Pursuant to Tulsa Police Department policies, the officer will be placed on administrative leave, “for the wellness of the officer after a critical incident and to allow for a complete investigation in conjunction with the Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office,” the department said.

Police are not releasing the name of the suspect.

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified