Arrest made in Broken Arrow homicide
By Steve Cowen, Contributing Writer
Broken Arrow police said Tuesday they've arrested a 16-year-old Tulsa boy in connection with a homicide that happened last week on the city's far northwester side.
The 16-year-old faces a first-degree murder charge for the shooting of the 23-year-old Jorge Santos, whose body was discovered last Friday behind a business in the 6100 block of South Garnett Road. Police are not releasing the suspect's name due to his age.
“I want to make it very clear that the Broken Arrow Police Department will use every unit, every partnership with federal, state and tribal local agencies and every piece of technology we have at our disposal for these type of crimes, and bring those responsible before the appropriate court for adjudication,” Berryhill said.
Video technology was a determining factor in issuing the arrest warrant, as the business shared video footage of the shooting with police investigators, he said. By reviewing the video, investigators learned the confrontation involved two different groups of people.
“The suspect fired several shots at the victim,” Berryhill said. “This is our third such gun-violence act that involves a young person. This is something we see in the metro area, and it is spilling over. It’s very unfortunate.”
Berryhill added that the investigation is still ongoing and “all the facts have not come out yet.”
The BAPD Special Operations Team was attempting to serve the warrant when the suspect turned himself in Tuesday morning.