Broken Arrow ward redistricting panel appointed
By John Dobberstein, Editor
The Broken Arrow City Council unanimously approved a slate of 5 people to serve on an advisory council to advise the city on redistricting options for ward representation.
Those appointed are:
* Josh Stenros, Ward 1 (nominated by Mayor Debra Wimpee
* Kristen Ward, Ward 3 (nominated by Vice Mayor Christi Gillespie
* Cesar DeLeon, At-Large (nominated by City Councilor Johnnie Parks
* Shelley Gwartney, Ward 2 (nominated by City Councilor Lisa Ford
* Dale A. DeReign, Ward 4 (nominated by City Councilor Scott Eudey
The existing Broken Arrow City Council Ward Boundaries were approved by the council on October 4, 2011. Confirming or re-configuring ward boundaries is done after each decennial census results are available.
The city’s population has grown by almost 15% to a reported 2020 Census count of 113,540. City staff, with the help from the Indian Nations Council of Government Indian Nations Council of Governments (INCOG) has collected data to analyze options for future ward boundaries.
Earlier this month, the City Council opted to appoint citizens to handle the redistricting task to avoid any appearance of gerrymandering or influence over the new boundaries to be drawn.
The informal panel will be given criteria for state and federal guidelines to help with analysis and decision making.