Victims ID’d in medical center shooting, suspect bought rifle just hours before incident


Tulsa police chief Wendell Franklin speaks during a press conference Thursday about the medical center shooting in south Tulsa.

By John Dobberstein, Editor

Tulsa police identified both the suspect and victims involved with the mass shooting Wednesday afternoon at the Natalie Building in Tulsa and also described how the man obtained the weapons that were used.

The victims were identified as Dr. Preston Phillips, a back surgeon; Dr. Stephanie Husen; Amanda Glenn and William Love.

The shooter was Michael Louis, 45, of Muskogee, a patient of Phillips’ who was being treated for back pain following a surgery on May 19. Glenn was a receptionist and Love was a patient.

Here is information provided by Tulsa police about the victims: 

William Love (Top Left): 73-years-old
William Love was married to Deborah Love on August 13th, 1967. He was a retired Army First Sergeant with 27 years of service. He served one tour in Vietnam. William loved traveling and spending time with his family. He is survived by his brother, James Love, daughters and their spouses, Karen Love & John Wood, Cheryl and Bobby Lowry, along with eight grandchildren and six great grandchildren.

“William Love's family would like us to share that at the time of shooting, William heard the gunshots and knew his wife would not be able to escape the building on her own. He sacrificed his life for her,” the department said.

Amanda Dawn Glenn: 40-years-old
Amanda Glenn's family describes her as a full-devoted wife and mother, loving sister, and daughter. “A true servant's heart, Amanda always put everyone else first. She was the happiest just being with her family, with the most amazing love for her boys and husband. Amanda worked in the medical field for over 18 years. Her family says she was always had the brightest smile and kindest spirit. She is survived by her husband, Jonathan Glenn, and two sons, Gabe Glenn and Ian Glenn,” the department said. 

Dr. Preston Phillips (top right): 59-years-old
A 1990 graduate of Harvard Medical School, Dr. Preston Phillips completed two fellowships at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston in 1986 and 1996. Dr. Phillips earned advanced degrees in organic chemistry and pharmacology, as well as theology from Emory University. Dr. Phillips most recently worked as a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with an interest in spinal surgery, joint reconstruction – including joint replacement and the treatment of fractures.

Dr. Cliff Robertson, president and CEO of Saint Francis Health System, called Phillips' death "the ultimate loss for Saint Francis and for Tulsa."

Dr. Stephanie Husen (bottom right): 48-years-old
Dr. Stephanie Husen was a sports and internal medicine specialist with the Warren Clinic in Tulsa. She graduated from the Oklahoma State University-Center for Health Services medical school in 2000 and completed her residency at Greenville Memorial Hospital in South Carolina.

Dr. Husen completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Oklahoma and was a member of the Chi Omega Sorority. The chapter shared the following message on Facebook:

"Today we mourn the loss of one of our own members of PC'92. Our hearts are with the family and loved ones who lost such an incredible woman. She was known and loved by so many and will always be remembered. No words could ever take away the pain of those affected, but know that we are here in full support and will continue to pray."

The Tulsa Community Foundation has a Saint Francis Employee Emergency Fund setup to help members of the Saint Francis family. To see what you can do to help, visit

Through the help of ATF agents, police found that Louis obtained an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle just a couple of hours before he walked into the building and the shooting began on the second floor. He’d also purchased a handgun on May 29 at a pawn shop.

Tulsa Police Chief Wendell Franklin said investigators believe the firearms had been legally purchased.

Police said Louis went to St. Francis Health System for back surgery on May 19 and Phillips’ was the surgeon. He was released on May 24. But over the next several days, Louis called Phillips’ office complaining of pain and wanting additional treatment.

On May 31, police said that Phillips saw Louis again for additional treatment. On June 1, Louis called the office again and again wanted more treatment. The first call about a shooter occurred at 4:53 p.m.. The first officers arrived at the building at 4:56 p.m.

Tactical officers entered the first floor and made their way to the second floor based on the information they had, Franklin said. Officers entered the second floor and announced themselves, per procedure, and as they advanced toward Louis they heard a gunshot.

“We believe that was the suspect taking his own life,” Franklin said, noting that was at 4:58, 39 seconds after the first officers entered the building.

As police cleared the building, they came across a victim down in an exam room, who eventually died at the hospital. They then found the suspect and rescued a female who was hiding near the suspect under a desk. She didn’t appear injured. Officers then located another victim near the suspect.

Officers came across another victim in open area near the nurse’s station, and rescued an elderly female in the same room. As they continued to clear building, Franklin said, they found Phillips deceased in an exam room.

As of Thursday morning officers had recovered 30 .223 shell casings and 7 .40-caliber shell casings. They also found a letter on the suspect, “which made it clear that he came in with intent to kill Mr. Phillips and anyone who got in his way,” Franklin said, noting that Louis blamed Phillips for ongoing pain following the surgery.

Police worked until 3 a.m. Thursday processing evidence before it was turned back to hospital staff.

An attorney for the suspect’s family also issued a statement Thursday that was circulating on social media. It said
Dr. Edith Lubin, former wife of Louis, “expresses her deepest condolences for the tragic losses that occurred on June 1 in Tulsa. Mr. Louis was residing with her during his recovery process from back surgery performed by one of the victims.

“She was not aware of Mr. Louis possessing any weapons or had any intent of harming anyone.”

Franklin thanked Tulsa firefighters, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, St. Francis security team, FBI, ATF, U.S. Marshal’s Office, tribal police and other federal and local agencies that responded.

Franklin said violence is being seen throughout the U.S. at the current time and that officers “train, train and train” for these types of incidents, as it’s naive to think it could never happen in Tulsa.

“The officers had the right mindset and went into action and did a tremendous job,” Franklin said. “It was a coordinated effort (among the agencies), not done haphazardly.”

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified